Canada Visitor Visa or Canada Temporary Resident Visa– TRV is required by those people who want to visit Canada for tourism, to meet family, friend, a relative or attend any ceremony or occasion. Temporary Resident Visa for Canada allows exploring Canada for a short period (not more than 6 months).
Canadian Consulate or Embassy in the country where the application is submitted, analyzes your eligibility for a Canadian visa. If the visa officer is satisfied with the information provided by you, visa will be granted.
The visitor visa issued by the Canadian embassy entitles you to travel to Canada within the stipulated time frame, once you reach any Canadian airport, your entry to Canada will depend upon the questions asked by the Canadian Border Services Officer. Once the BSO is satisfied with the answers, only then you are allowed to come out of the airport and enter the Canadian territory.
Note: Temptation of securing a Canadian Visitor Visa is such high, that sometimes agents, as well as applicants, provide fake information in visa applications. Proving a fake information on visa application form or to Canadian Border Services Officer (BSO) is a crime and carries a minimum 5 years ban on the visa. You are advised to provide accurate information to avoid unwanted consequences.
Canada Visitor Visa Application Guidelines
How to Apply for a Visitor Visa to Canada?
You can apply for Canada Visitor Visa either Online or On Paper (Offline). The mode of Canada Tourist Visa application doesn’t impact the decision of the Consulate therefore, you can opt for the convenient mode.
If you want to apply for Canada visa online, you should have access to a good quality scanner and a credit card to pay Canada visa application fees. On the other hand, if you are going to apply offline, use white, bond-quality and non-glossy papers for printing. The embassy instructs to use laser printing for visa application documents.
How to Complete Canada Visitor Visa Application?
- Collect your documents that are mentioned below in the Canada Tourist Visa checklist.
- Complete the Canada visa application. Fill the various essential forms like form IMM 5257 which is an Application for Temporary Resident Visa, form IMM 5707 for Family Information, and form IMM 5484 for Documents Checklist, etc. (detailed information is given in the documents checklist section), and validate them. In the case of an online visa application, upload all the forms along with supporting documents.
- Pay the Canada visa fees online (application processing fees and biometric fee).
- Submit your visa application.
- Book an appointment for Biometric Enrolment at the authorized service center and on the specific date of appointment, take Canada visa fee payment receipt along with the original passport.
- In case you are applying offline, do keep in mind to take your completed and printed application forms, supporting documents and two copies of the passport biodata page.
Canada Visitor Visa Processing Time
Canada visa processing time varies from application to application. Generally, it takes around 15 working days to process the application but sometimes in some cases, it may take more time. The Canadian Consulate can also ask for additional documents or clarification if they have any doubt or are not satisfied with the information provided by you.
You are suggested to provide complete information while making a visa application to avoid delays.
I am providing a general checklist of required documents for Canada Temporary Resident Visa for Indian Nationals holding ordinary passports. If you are residing in India and interested to apply for a Canada visitor visa to travel to Canada, you can go through this checklist.
Canada Visitor Visa Requirements
Documents Checklist for Temporary Resident Visa – TRV
- Canada Visitor Visa application form (IMM 5257) completed, signed and dated. When you fill the Canada visa application form on a computer, do not forget to validate the form to generate a barcode.
Note: If you make even a little change to the TRV form, you must validate the form again and print the latest barcode page.
- Family information form (IMM 5707) completed, signed and dated.
- If you are going to hire a visa consultant or a representative for making Canada visa application. You need to submit a “Use of a Representative” form (IMM 5476).
- Authority form (IMM 5475) to release personal information to a designated individual. You need to fill this form only if you want to appoint a designated individual to get the status of the visa application or modify the address information on your behalf.
- A valid passport (travel document) with a minimum of 6 months validity from the intended date of your travel. Canadian embassy offers a sticker visa hence there should be at least one blank page on the travel document other than the last page. Photocopy of the first and last page of the passport.
- The receipt of fee payment (Canada visa application processing fee + biometric fee).
- A cover letter containing important information such as the purpose of your travel to Canada, professional and personal details along with the details of the sponsor (if any).
- Two latest photographs having dimensions 35 mm x 45 mm, white background with 80% face closure. The photographs should be clicked with a neutral expression.
Proof of Travel and Accommodation
- Day-wise itinerary of your intended Canada visit.
- Confirmed return air ticket (India to Canada and Canada to India) to ensure your timely return to the home country.
- Proof of confirmed accommodation.
Proof of Funds
- Bank statement for the last 6 months. You need to provide proof of sufficient means of funds available to meet the expenses of your travel to Canada. If you are accompanying family members, you also need to show the funds available for them too. Make sure you have maintained a good bank balance from the last few months to justify your income statement. Do not show a huge amount with just the latest transactions.
- Proof of fixed deposits, investments and other possessions (if available).
- PF statement (if you are an employed person).
- If self-employed: Bank statement of the company.
- In case, your Canada trip is sponsored by a family member, friend or relative, you need to submit the financial documents of the sponsor.
Proof of Employment
- If employed: No Objection Certificate from the company containing the information of your employment including the tenure of employment, designation and salary package. This NOC should also state the period of your leave for the intended trip. Submit the salary slips for the last 6 months, employment contract, and certificate of employment too.
- If self-employed: Submit the Company registration certificate.
Proof of Taxation
- ITRs or form 16 for the last 3 years along with supporting documents.
- 3 GSTRs (if self-employed).
- Submit the copy of passports (travel documents) of parents or guardians. If the minor applicant is traveling with a single parent, the custody documents or written consent from father or mother must be submitted. In case, the minor is traveling alone or with the person other than parents or guardians, there is a need to submit the written consent of both parents or guardians.
Canada Visitor Visa Fees
- Canada Visitor visa fees (single applicant) CAD 100
- Canada Visitor visa fees (per family) CAD 500
- Biometrics fees (single applicant) CAD 85
- Biometrics fees (per family) CAD 170
Note: Canada visa rules, forms, and Canada Visitor Visa cost are subject to change anytime so, do not forget to go through the latest requirements and instructions before making Application for Visitor Visa.